Éstas son las mañanitas These are the morning verses
Que cantaba el Rey David, That King David used to sing,
A las muchachas bonitas To the beautiful young ladies,
Se las cantaba así. He would sing them like this.
(The Mexican birthday song, sometimes sung as a dawn serenade).
Youtube Mariachi version here. Piano music and eleventy-zillion more verses here.
My forty-third birthday next Wednesday will inaugurate the "Birthday Madness" season in the Grimes-Honkanen household. The next day Katie will turn five and just over two weeks later, on Feb. 3, Nicholas will be eleven. In the middle, on January 30, we celebrate the gift of Grandma Di; Nicholas and I were both due on my Mom's birthday but I was uncharacteristically early and he was little late. We will be doing a trip to Disneyland to celebrate them all in a couple weeks; in the meantime I offer this birthday-inspired Friday Five.
1. When is your birthday? Does anyone else (famous and/or in your own life) share it?
2. Do you prefer a big party or an intimate celebration for the chosen few?
3. Describe your most memorable birthday(s)--good, bad, or both.
4. What is your favorite cake and ice cream? (Bonus points if you share the cake recipe). Or would you rather have a different treat altogether?
5. Surprise parties: love 'em or hate 'em?
Bonus: Describe your ideal birthday--the sky's the limit.
As always, let us know in comments if you play. Post a direct link to your blog entry in your comment using the following formulation: <a href="the url of your blog post goes here">what you want the link to say goes here</a> For a complete how-to, click here.