Friday, March 14, 2008
Friday Five: Time for Palms
(Music Video: Reading Phoenix Choir, Ride On, Ride on in Majesty!)
Can you believe Daylight Savings Time is here already? It's hard to get used to the new, earlier onset. My family has been getting up and out a little late and a little sleepy in the mornings.
And can you believe that in two days it will be Palm Sunday for Western Christians? Our Lent is almost over, while our Orthodox sisters and brothers, whose liturgical year follows the older Julian calendar, are just starting theirs. Nicholas did a recent book report on George Washington, and we were surprised to find out that our first President's birthday was originally Feb. 11, since he was born just before the change to the Gregorian calendar. Apparently the change almost caused rioting, as some indignant people were sure that they were being cheated out of eleven days of their lives!
To help you adjust--and enjoy the process--here's a Friday Five about time and transitions....
1. If you could travel to any historical time period, which would it be, and why?
2. What futuristic/science fiction development would you most like to see?
3. Which do you enjoy more: remembering the past, or dreaming for the future?
4. What do you find most memorable about this year's Lent?
5. How will you spend your time during this upcoming Holy Week? What part do you look forward to most?
As always, let us know in comments if you play. Post a direct link to your blog entry in your comment using the following formulation: <a href="the url of your blog post goes here">what you want the link to say goes here</a> For a complete how-to, click here.